In 2006, Carey Martell started a YouTube channel called The RPG Fanatic, a video game review channel. Over the next several years he generated millions of views and decided to take the lessons learned and create a knowledge sharing networking with other creators, called Power Up TV.
About Power Up TV
Power Up TV ™ is a YouTube multichannel network focused on providing entertainment for gamers and folks interested in nerdy topics. We offer 80% ad revenue with NO lock-in contracts. We also have a recruiter program where you can earn 15% of our network’s cut of any channel you recruit.
Hardest things about being an entrepreneur:
- As an outlier it is tough to find others who see the world the way you do. Ignore the investors; friends and family often don’t understand what you are trying to do. Entrepreneurship is a lonely path.
- The lifestyle requires you to devote your resources (time, energy and money) to growing the business, which means other kinds of relationships or events take a backseat.
- You have to balance your ego; on the one hand you must be confident that what you are trying to do is going to disrupt an industry and yet you still need to accept you will make mistakes while treading new territory. It is important to be able to honestly self-reflect and be critical about yourself, and I’ve found many people don’t have a strong enough sense of self to do this.
Advice for entrepreneurs (new or seasoned):
- Never give up.
- Appreciate the small things in life.
- Take time to honestly reflect on yourself and validate your beliefs. Don’t just bend the data to support your ideas; listen to what the market is telling you and adjust your vision accordingly.
Of course we have to ask…words to describe Tech Ranch 🙂
- Favorite Word: determination
- Favorite Activity: designing
- Something we don’t already know about you? My blog http://careymartell.com/
Finally, please share with us any news or exciting opportunities for our readers about Power Up TV:
Power Up TV was acquired in January 2015 by Thunder Studios Inc, the largest independent movie studio in California. I then became the Vice President of Thunder TV, the new division in charge of developing original programming for the studio.
We’ve been filming new TV shows and films for release later this year and next year, and we have also developed new tools such as http://www.videorobo.com/ to better understand the online video universe.